Rapid Fill Mugs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rapid Fill Mugs

Yesterday, Disney announced a change to the Resort mugs. They will now have RFID chips in them based on a guest's length of stay. Guests can now refill at any resort beverage station, not just the hotel they're staying at.
    As the RFID chip will activate the beverage stations, old mugs cannot be sneaked back in for future trips, though.

http://disneywithme.wordpress.com/20...ws-rapid-fill/
    What does everyone think of this change? Win, fail, meh?
    Last edited by frandog; 07-08-2013, 11:09 PM. Reason: added link
    WE'RE TALKING DISNEY, GOING AT IT AS HARD AS WE CAN!

Here is some more information posted by Dis Updates:

Rumor: RFID-enabled mugs coming to Walt Disney World hotels
    Leah Zanolla | Posted: Jul 8, 2013 | Updated: Jul 8, 2013 - 12:18:22 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Will Walt Disney World hotels soon be implementing the refillable mug system that has been tested at All-Star Sports Resort in recent years? According to the website Orlando Theme Park News, the new program, Rapid Fill, will begin this month at hotels featuring self-serve beverage stations. The All-Star Resorts will once again be the first resorts to roll out the new program, which will offer guests a refillable mug armed with an RFID (radio frequency identification) chip inside. The chip will be activated for a select number of days, allowing guests yet another way to customize their vacation. The mugs can then be filled with drinks at the beverage stations for those designated days. Choices will include 1 day for $8.99, 2 days for $11.99, 3 days for $14.99 and 4 or more days (length of stay; days must be consecutive) for $17.99.

Mugs cannot be used during subsequent visits to Walt Disney World. They may not be used at the water parks (a water park option may be added in the future), but may be filled at any resort with self-serve beverage stations. Days are calculated by the calendar, not by 24-hour periods. For example, if you use your mug for the first time at 10:30pm, your first day will end at 11:59pm that night. The new mugs will be included with the Disney Dining Plan.

The implementation of this system has not yet been confirmed by Disney.

Win, fail, meh?

Have a magical day!!! Jackie

Check out our New Book: "Attention to Detail: A Look at Walt Disney World Attractions" Volume 2

Amazon: Voume 2 http://www.amazon.com/dp/1497496896/ref=cm_sw_su_dp
    Amazon: Volume 1
    http://amzn.com/1453699554

Comment

I like this idea, but the price is getting to the point we might rethink our normal mug purchase.
      Jimmie

WDW: 18 trips since 1990
      Disneyland: 2 trips, 2003 & 2014
      Disney Cruise: 3 cruises since 2006

Next trip: Thanksgiving 2015
      Papaw Gigi Arlee

Comment

We always got new mugs each trip. A souvenir for us to bring back home. I am not understanding all the hype that these are getting, it's causing quite a stir. I like that they are 'officially' allowing you to use them at other hotels on property since most everyone did anyway. I wish there was a new design though
        Training for my first Princess Half - 2015

Comment

I love my refillable mugs..I use them at home every day. (seriously, though...we still have some resort specific ones that we love. Brian likes using our Contemporary ones, and I still pull out the POR one every now and then!)

I think they are making this too complicated. Why not just release a new mug every January, and enforce the rule that you can only use the current mug? (giving a few week's leeway in Jan. for those who checked in during December) I would enjoy the new design every year. Better yet, go back to the resort specific mugs, and put the 'year' tag on them. They make great souvenirs.

I keep wishing, as a DVC'er, that they would come out with a DVC mug. They could make it a little bigger, charge a little more for it...but then make it good forever. DVC'ers are always coming back, let us re-use the mugs instead of having to keep purchasing the same ones over and over.

In any case...we're going to get the mugs. We enjoy having them. Guess we'll see how it works out for everyone!

Comment

So what happens with ordering a regular meal with a paper cup? Will the drink station still work? If so then couldn't people still reuse older mugs?

I think this as well as the fast pass system should have been monitored and handled by CM's instead of creating these new systems because it is making every aspect of a vacation controlled. Soon our rooms will kick us out in the morning and then let us back in at a certain time of night!

I do think it is getting a little absurd.
            Check out our book "Attention to Detail: A Look at Walt Disney World Parks" BOGP Episode 255 Interview
            On Amazon: Vol.1 http://amzn.com/1453699554 Vol.2 http://amzn.com/1497496896
            On Facebook: Attention to Detail
            WDW visits: 8/03, 2/04, 10/04 ASMovies, 10/05 POP 10/06, 10/07, 10/08, 10/09, 10/10 ASMovies, 9/12 POFQ, 12/13 POFQ, Pop 10/14, ASMovies 2/15, Poly 6/16

Comment

I stayed at AS Music for Epic October and found the mugs to be very frustrating. The dispensers were random on recognizing the mugs. Sometimes the mug was filled and sometimes nothing happened when the mug was placed on the sensor. In fact, on Tuesday the dispensers were turned off and mug owners were being given bottles of pop upon request. Don't think the technology is ready.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithB View Post
                So what happens with ordering a regular meal with a paper cup? Will the drink station still work? If so then couldn't people still reuse older mugs?
                Just catching up on this thread.

We had paper cups on our recent trip, and they too had RFID chips embedded into the bottom of them.

I totally forgot about this change and was getting frustrated at why it wouldn't give me my drink... then I realized the cup had to basically be touching the cup rest in order to activate the dispenser. DOH!

Comment

You've probably seen on other sites like WDW Magic that they are changing the pricing of the mugs again to one price length of stay. WDW Magic only names a few resorts, but when we went to Gasparilla's on 5/15 they also had only 1 price of $16.49 to my surprise. I was actually happy since we were going to get a length of stay and the price went down. I make good use of my mug with 4-6 drinks a day from it (1-2 before the park, 1-2 during our afternoon break and 1-2 after the parks). I generally carry mine in my backpack so I can grab a drink when returning from the park or if we hop to a different resort. I figured I'd share the news in case anyone hadn't heard.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/dining/refil...-structure.htm

Comment

Originally posted by monorailbob View Post
                    You've probably seen on other sites like WDW Magic that they are changing the pricing of the mugs again to one price length of stay. WDW Magic only names a few resorts, but when we went to Gasparilla's on 5/15 they also had only 1 price of $16.49 to my surprise. I was actually happy since we were going to get a length of stay and the price went down. I make good use of my mug with 4-6 drinks a day from it (1-2 before the park, 1-2 during our afternoon break and 1-2 after the parks). I generally carry mine in my backpack so I can grab a drink when returning from the park or if we hop to a different resort. I figured I'd share the news in case anyone hadn't heard.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/dining/refil...-structure.htm
                    Thanks for posting, Bob.

Most of our trips we get them- we usually are there a minimum of 4 days anyways, with most trips being 6 days. Like you, we usually hit the food court 2 or 3 times a day depending if we come back for a break, and we get a couple drinks each trip tot he food court. So the cost per drink is usually under $1 per drink even on a shorter trip.

One of the nice things about the August trip is having the mug included as part of the free dining package. I ran the numbers of the package as we have it booked versus doing the room discount with the park tickets, and paying for our meals and the mugs out of pocket, and we definitely save with the free dining. I think the break even point would have just under $100 a day for our meals for the 4 of us, which even just doing quick service and spending $10 a meal (which would have been really low) and not getting any snacks (not happening!) we would easily spend more than the $100. With the free dining package we get the park hopper tickets, the drink mug, and we have booked ADR's to maximize our table service meals (Crystal Palace Dinner, Garden Grill Dinner, Fantasmic Hollywood and Vine Dinner Package, and Tusker House). So I always cringe when people tell me free dining does not make sense. If we stayed Deluxe that may be the case but not at the moderates.
                    Thanks to Quickrewards and hard work, I have $2,000 saved letting us book our August Triphttp://www2.quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D13A7

Comment

Originally posted by RussellH View Post
                      Thanks for posting, Bob.

Most of our trips we get them- we usually are there a minimum of 4 days anyways, with most trips being 6 days. Like you, we usually hit the food court 2 or 3 times a day depending if we come back for a break, and we get a couple drinks each trip tot he food court. So the cost per drink is usually under $1 per drink even on a shorter trip.

One of the nice things about the August trip is having the mug included as part of the free dining package. I ran the numbers of the package as we have it booked versus doing the room discount with the park tickets, and paying for our meals and the mugs out of pocket, and we definitely save with the free dining. I think the break even point would have just under $100 a day for our meals for the 4 of us, which even just doing quick service and spending $10 a meal (which would have been really low) and not getting any snacks (not happening!) we would easily spend more than the $100. With the free dining package we get the park hopper tickets, the drink mug, and we have booked ADR's to maximize our table service meals (Crystal Palace Dinner, Garden Grill Dinner, Fantasmic Hollywood and Vine Dinner Package, and Tusker House). So I always cringe when people tell me free dining does not make sense. If we stayed Deluxe that may be the case but not at the moderates.
                      Free dining is a good deal for a lot of people. It heavily depends on the size of the party. If it's 4 or 5 people in a moderate, it's always a great deal. That is probably the best category. The values probably do pretty well also if 3 or 4 are in a room. Even the deluxe resorts can do okay with free dining if 4 or 5 people are in a room. Deluxes do better with room only discounts when it's a small size party (say 1 or 2) and when they stay at the more expensive Deluxes. You did it the best way and crunched the numbers with both discounts to see which worked better for you. With those great buffets/all you can eat meals, the free dining was definitely in your favor! Enjoy the great dining!

Comment

Thanks for posting, Bob. I'm happy the price will actually be going down for those of us who purchase for length of stay.
                        Jimmie

WDW: 18 trips since 1990
                        Disneyland: 2 trips, 2003 & 2014
                        Disney Cruise: 3 cruises since 2006

Next trip: Thanksgiving 2015
                        Papaw Gigi Arlee

Comment

Being from the UK and having the Disney Dining plan, we always get Refillable Mugs. If I go for a short trip without the DDP I buy a Refillable mug as works out cheaper for me. I'm slowly getting every colour but purple is my fav. AoA & CSR all had signs for the cheaper length of stay last week.
                          twitter.com/MissJ_E91

Disney Resorts Stayed in
                          2008-Contemporary Resort South Garden Rooms, 2009-Saratoga Springs- The Grandstand, 2010-Bay Lake Tower , 2011-Contemporary & Old Key West, 2012- Disney's Newport Bay Club, Paris, Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian. 2013- Disney's Sequioa Lodge- Paris, Coronado Springs & Contemporary. 2014- Coronado Springs & Old Key West. 2015- Art of Animation (Cars & Little Mermaid), Coronado Springs

Comment

Working...
                          X