Young Yehaa Bob

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young Yehaa Bob

One of the must-do things for me at WDW is a side-trip to Port Orleans Riverside to see Yehaa Bob Jackson. While chatting with him during a break in his show, I heard a recorded version of him playing a really fun tune, Pinetop's Boogie Woogie. I asked if he could play it live, and he said that he'd have to refresh his memory. He asked me to email him a few weeks before my next trip and he'd have it ready.

My next trip was scheduled for early December 2015, and I emailed my request and also mentioned another song (I Would Do Anything for You) that I'd like to hear if he knew it. I went on to say that I had heard it performed many times by a band at the Sacramento Jazz Festival. Interestingly, Bob replied that he had played at that festival three times.

Sadly, I had to cancel my December trip, but partially made up for it with a weekend trip at the end of February 2016. Naturally, I headed to POR on my first evening to finally hear Bob play my request. I also took that opportunity to ask Bob about when he played at Sacramento. He said he joined Rosie O'Grady's band (I believe it was a restaurant at Church Street Station) around 1994 and played in Sacramento that year.

By a strange coincidence, I was cleaning up some things and stumbled across the program from the 1994 Sacramento Jazz Jubilee. When I found the listing for Rosie O'Grady's, there was Bob's name in the band's roster. (I've sacanned the band's information so you can see it for yourself.)
    Scan of the 1994 Sacramento Jazz Jubilee program.
    Share and Enjoy!
    Dennis

That's really cool to hear about Bob. I've seen only a little of his show one time when we stayed at POR. I tried to check his show out on my way to the bakery, but it was really crowded so I didn't stay, but listened for a few minutes. I'd like to check out his show sometime. I went to Rosie O'Grady's 2 times in the late 1980's on Spring Break (yes, it was at Church Street Station). It was a lot of fun.

Thanks for sharing Dennis!

Comment

My tip for seeing Yehaa Bob is to either get there really early or wait until later (9:30 - 10 pm) when the crowd starts to thin out.
      Share and Enjoy!
      Dennis

Comment

A bit of additional information, thanks to Bob and Off Kilter's Jason Thomas: Bob is the one on the left, with the mustache.
        Share and Enjoy!
        Dennis

Comment

Working...
        X