This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renting DVC points.

does anyone have an experience with renting points from a DVC owner for a trip? I really am interested in trying this sometime not only to get a DVC villa but to get a feel for how different it is to vacation in a DVC versus a regular disney room.

just curious to see if anyone has done this...

or .. if you are a DVC owner, have you ever rented points out to someone and did it go smoothly?

thanks!

check out my disney photos and more at www.flickr.com/marcellina
    my california trip report:http://www.beourguestpodcast.com/for...ead.php?t=1772

Hi Marci - we had two years worth of points in quick succession that we weren't able to use, so I rented them out through DVC Request. The prices aren't the best - he obviously takes a fee, but it's very simple and efficient.

I did try initially to rent them out through a forum, but found that it was all people hoping for last minute things, so the process of checking availability was a little irksome.
    Becca
    Xx

What I'm thinking about

Jan 11 DLRP
    Aug 10 DLR; Sep 09 Pop
    Jan 09 SSR; Jan 08 Pop
    Apr 04 AKL; Jan 00 DLRP
    Dec 98 DLRP; Jul 97 DLRP
    Oct 95 Offsite; Dec 93 DLRP
    Oct 90 Dolphin; Jan 88 Poly

Comment

Marci-I rented points last fall for a weekend trip. I had a great person to work with & it was a friend of a friend, but I had no issues at all. It was quite easy. I offered her $10/point (based on what I was seeing on Disboards DVC rental section) & she accepted. I paid via paypal, but there is a fee associated w/that so I offered to pay that as well. She kept in contact w/me via email w/the ressie info & then set up the DME info for us as well.

We had no issues & would absolutely rent points again!! Hope this helps!

Comment

becca and jen.. thanks for sharing your experiences. I swear one of these days I will either own DVC or at least stay in a DVC villa through renting points.. it's good to know that it can go smoothly....

I get so nervous about these horror stories that you hear on occasion... but I do think the majority of exchanges happen just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Magical JenK View Post
          Marci-I rented points last fall for a weekend trip. I had a great person to work with & it was a friend of a friend, but I had no issues at all. It was quite easy. I offered her $10/point (based on what I was seeing on Disboards DVC rental section) & she accepted. I paid via paypal, but there is a fee associated w/that so I offered to pay that as well. She kept in contact w/me via email w/the ressie info & then set up the DME info for us as well.

We had no issues & would absolutely rent points again!! Hope this helps!
          You can rent points?? Can you get a decent price or is it only a little less than a normal stay at the resort? I would die to stay at Animal Kingdom, but I can't afford DVC, much less staying there. *cry*
          ~Katy

GameLuv
          FoodLuv
          @Katiberz

Comment

Originally posted by katiberz View Post
            You can rent points?? Can you get a decent price or is it only a little less than a normal stay at the resort?
            yes, you can rent points from a DVC owner who isn't going to be using their points..

as for the cost.. well, it depends on at what price the owner is selling and I guess there is a fee with it .. I wasn't aware of that. If you look on the Disboards they have an entire section of the DVC forum dedicated to people looking to rent points and people who have points to rent. You have to be careful though because the transaction is between the two people and disney has nothing to do with it.... so if it is a scam.. disney cannot help you in anyway to get your money back. There should be a sticky thread on the disboards DVC rental forum that explains how it all works!

Comment

I think that the key is to pick someone who is an active member in the Disney community, and to do as much as possible through Paypal. I think that there are enough keen members who would die if their online reputation were marred by a bad transaction!
              Becca
              Xx

What I'm thinking about

Jan 11 DLRP
              Aug 10 DLR; Sep 09 Pop
              Jan 09 SSR; Jan 08 Pop
              Apr 04 AKL; Jan 00 DLRP
              Dec 98 DLRP; Jul 97 DLRP
              Oct 95 Offsite; Dec 93 DLRP
              Oct 90 Dolphin; Jan 88 Poly

Comment

Originally posted by aurora1982 View Post
                I think that the key is to pick someone who is an active member in the Disney community, and to do as much as possible through Paypal. I think that there are enough keen members who would die if their online reputation were marred by a bad transaction!
                I totally agree! Good tip.. thanks becca!

Comment

I got very lucky w/my transaction (because it was a friend's friend I rented from), this I know. But yes, like Marci & Becca have said, it's not backed by Disney at all! You are taking a risk, but there are ways to get referrals & such especially if they are members on the disboards.

On the disboards I've seen some points as low as $5 in the last few months!! Now, I don't think that is the norm, but shop around before you lock in w/anyone.

As for did I get a deal...yes! $10/pt & it was 53 pts for the studio at SSR that weekend (note that all the DVC resorts are different points at different times of the year so to stay at AKL villas would be different than OKW or SSR for example...on wdwinfo.com you can use a points calculator to help w/your planning) & when I priced it on Disney.com I believe it was over $1200.

Comment

I've rented points twice. Both were great experiences. On our last trip, we had ressies at Pop Century. On a whim, I looked & found an owner with points for rent. For $7.00 more per night, we moved up to a Saratoga Springs studio. It was a beautiful room!

Weekends are usually double the amount of points. Staying Sunday-Thursday can save a lot of $$$.
                    Jimmie

WDW: 18 trips since 1990
                    Disneyland: 2 trips, 2003 & 2014
                    Disney Cruise: 3 cruises since 2006

Next trip: Thanksgiving 2015
                    Papaw Gigi Arlee

Comment

My wife (then girlfriend - became Fiance in front driver cockpit of monorail the day before we bought into DVC on that trip) had got an offer from DVC for Vero Beach for 3 nights for $99 TOTAL if we took the DVC tour while there. we were going to stay there and make the 2hr or so drive to WDW each day. We had booked that and then I started looking into DVC seriously so I'd be informed when we took the tour. Thats when I found out about renting points.

We found a great deal on OKW which has low point usage so I paid less than what we were going to at Vero and got an extra night out of it and were right on property, so no long drives each day. we enjoyed the first couple days that when we took the tour on that Wednesday that we bought in and havent looked back since.

We also rented points but it was to a close friend/former coworker so my experience there wouldnt do you much good, unless you find a friend who is an owner and is looking to rent some points.

Mike
                      Mike (not the Be Our Guest host)
                      Surprise, AZ (from Rochester, NY)

www.disneypodcastdirectory.net
                      www.mikescott8.net/blog/
                      twitter.com/dizpoddir
                      twitter.com/mikescott8

Comment

Renting Points

Thought this seemed like a good sub forum to put this on. I was wondering if anyone had either rented points to stay at a DVC property or have rented out their DVC points when they weren't going to use them?? Josh and I have a five year anniversary coming up next year and we would love to stay at AK Lodge and this may be an option for us. I think we would pay about the same as staying at POP but get more for our money from the math have done. This is all very tentative right now. I found a website that seems reputable that rents points as a 3rd party, dvcrequest.com I think.

I'm just starting to think of options. I am suffering greatly from the Disney blues and I really want to talk Josh into a trip for our anniversary and grad school graduation next year. I don't know if it will happen but I can start doing some research. Josh has always said he would love to stay at AK Lodge! Maybe I need to even work on one of these surprise trips!!!
                        sigpic
                        Coronado Springs June 2009
                        POP January 2004
                        Disney Magic Music Days 1998
                        CBR 1992
                        My 2009 Trip Report!

Comment

Can't really help you much here, Brooke, as we have never rented out points or rented points from anyone else. I thought I read a while back that the going rate was about $10 per point to rent. If your stay required 100 points, the room would cost about $1000. Not familiar with the website you posted, so I can't really help you there either. AKL would be an awesome place to spend your anniversary. I hope you find the info you are looking for, just sorry I couldn't help you anymore.
                          -Adam
                          Guest Episodes #207, #231, #283

DVC Members since Oct. 2008

Facebook: www.facebook.com/bama106
                          Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/bama106

Comment

I've rented DVC points three times now with great results, so far. We rented points for our upcoming trip. It's a great way to stay at a deluxe resort at a value or moderate rate. I highly recommend it!

We've stayed at BCV, SS, & will be at AKV in 6 days.

I'm sure you're aware of this, but staying Sun-Thur saves even more $$$. The point totals double on Fri/Sat. I've always just dealt with the actual DVC owner with no problems. I use the Rent/Trade board over on the disboards. That being said, dvcrequest.com looks like a pretty good deal too. Might take the worry out of the transaction. I've paid $10.00-$10.50/point.
                            Jimmie

WDW: 18 trips since 1990
                            Disneyland: 2 trips, 2003 & 2014
                            Disney Cruise: 3 cruises since 2006

Next trip: Thanksgiving 2015
                            Papaw Gigi Arlee

Comment

Disboards does have a rental thread. The going rate is 10.00 per point. Good luck to you!
                              Episode 233 Guest
                              2002-All-Star Resort
                              2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2009 Pop Centry
                              2010 Animal Kingdom Lodge (Spring Break)
                              2010 Bay Lake Towers (Thanksgiving)
                              New DVC Member - Bay Lake Towers

Comment

Working...
                              X