This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by magicmousemedic View Post
    Ok, so i'm thinking about trying to rent some points to show my wife what the DVC resorts and rooms are like. ( Trying to convince her we should become members). So i'm trying to find out where to rent points from and find out how much it would cost. Any help would be great.
    Look at post #27 above. If you need more help, send me a private message. Being new to this, it might be best to use David's Vacation Rentals. He'll do the heavy lifting for you. It just cost a little more.
    Last edited by Jackie; 03-13-2014, 12:11 PM.
    Jimmie

WDW: 18 trips since 1990
    Disneyland: 2 trips, 2003 & 2014
    Disney Cruise: 3 cruises since 2006

Next trip: Thanksgiving 2015
    Papaw Gigi Arlee

Comment

Awesome! Thank you so much. Now to figure out how many points we're gonna need to rent.
      sigpicPeter Pontecorvo EMT-P 30 something on the outside, 21 y/o on the inside, and 9 y/o in the most magical place on earth.

Twitter: @magicmousemedic

Comment

Good information

I am so glad to have come across this thread.

I have been looking (kinda) into DVC. I would love to do it, but I just don't know if it is right for me, if it is worth it, and I would love to just try it out. So, I am glad there are ways I can try it and see if DVC is really for me and will be worth the money put into it.

Thanks everyone for your input on this.

Comment

Originally posted by bear4u98 View Post
          I am so glad to have come across this thread.

I have been looking (kinda) into DVC. I would love to do it, but I just don't know if it is right for me, if it is worth it, and I would love to just try it out. So, I am glad there are ways I can try it and see if DVC is really for me and will be worth the money put into it.

Thanks everyone for your input on this.
          If you do rent points let us know how it goes!

I've been intersted in renting points for forever (obviously!) but have never done it myself!

check out my disney photos and more at www.flickr.com/marcellina
          my california trip report:http://www.beourguestpodcast.com/for...ead.php?t=1772

Comment

I have rented before and it can be a great experience! There are sort of 2 schools of thought when renting. One is to rent from a business like David's DVC Rental and the other is to rent from a private individual from a message board or chat.

If you rent from a business, you'll pay more but it can be a safer transaction with almost no hassle. Most businesses rent for about $13/point. If you rent from an individual on a message board, you pay less but there is some trust needed. It's very realistic to rent from a private person for $8-$10/point. Both a business and a private person can arrange Magical Express and set up the Dining Plan for you and you can never contact DVC guest services. Usually some sort of contract is required.

I would recommend paying with Paypal and that way your transaction is guaranteed. I would also check the Orange County Comptroller to verify the property deed. There are several benefits to renting DVC points. You can stay in a deluxe for less than a value at times.

Also, once you are on property, your KTTW card has DVC on it and nobody at the resort or the parks knows that you're not a DVC member. So it isn't like you're treated differently b/c you rented DVC points.

Renting points 1 time convinced us to buy DVC. I really enjoyed the experience and renting points really helps a DVC member as well.

Comment

I just rented points through the DVC Rental Store. I leave on Saturday, but so far it has been a great experience. He has been very professional, and everything went off without a hitch. It cost me 13 dollars per point, and I had to put down 8 dollars per point as a deposit. I was even able to confirm the reservation with disney, so I knew everything went through. I checked in a couple days ago online. It looks like everything is set. More info when I get back.

Comment

We have rented a few times through private transaction (used DISboards) and even swapped our Harborside Atlantis timeshare (back when we owned it) for DVC stays. We were very happy each time and never had an issue (We looked for people who were well vested in the boards and part of the community).

For our upcoming February trip, we are using dvcrequest.com. He required a small deposit (fully refundable) upon request and then a pay in full (13 per point) once the reservation was secured. It was hassle free, seamless, and he got us exactly what we wanted for a very busy time of year. We had our reservation secured in about two days time!

We can contact him for adding on DME and a dining plan (if we so desired). For tix, we are planning on getting APs so we can get the DDE, parking, and cover our days in the park for February and our July trip (pre/post BOGP 2.0 cruise).

Our private rentals all cost us $10 per point. DVCrequest was $13/point, as he takes 3 for profit and pays 10 to the owners (typically). You can get last minute deals through this website if you sign up - I just got an email about points for Sept for $9 point!

As far as savings - we are going to be staying in a 2 bedroom for five nights (splitting with my in-laws) in Feb (OKW - rooms are huge!!) and then 2 nights in an Animal Kingdom Lodge Studio (just the 3 of us in Jambo House) Savannah view. The 2 bedroom OKW would be over $900 a night, while the AKL studio is about 1050 for the two nights (all before taxes- another 12.5%). That is about $6000, where as we paid just over $3000 for the point rental. If we could have gotten this privately at $10 a point it would have only been even less expensive. Even with a 30% off code (probably unlikely on president's week), this would have been a $4200 bill direct from Disney, so great savings are available.

As always, you have to do the math. if codes are available and you are renting a studio on a weekend, it may be cheaper to rent directly. Often it is cheaper to rent points though.

One thing to keep in mind - DVC points stay do not get daily Mousekeeping. DVC rentals through Disney (cash stays) do. I belive they do trash removal after four nights and full cleaning after the 7th or 8th night.
                July '13: BOGP Cruise 2.0 Feb '13 OKW & AKL Jul '12: DCL NYC to Canada Jan '12: WLV 7/11 ; 1/11: 1st Full Mrthn! 9/10 CSR & POFQ: Treehs meet& baby's 1st; 2/10 Dlphn: Babymoon!!! -7/09 WLV & Swan: 6th Anv 12/08 - Dlphn - Mousefest/MVMCP 6/08 - BCV & WL - 5th Anv 1/08 - Dlphn - WDW Hlf Mrthn 7/07 - Dlphn 1/07 - Dlphn - WDW 5K 8/06 - Dlphn 2/04 -CB 7/03 - WEDDING & Hnymn @ GF!!!! 2/00 - 1st trip! Dix Lndg

Episode 185 & 357 Guest!

http://twitter.com/#!/CT_Mickey_Man

Comment

There has ben talk on another thread about renting DVC points. So I thought it might be good to bring this thread backup.

Who has rented DVC points?

Who did you rent from?

How was your experience?

Other comments and suggestions?

Have a magical day!!! Jackie

Check out our New Book: "Attention to Detail: A Look at Walt Disney World Attractions" Volume 2

Amazon: Voume 2 http://www.amazon.com/dp/1497496896/ref=cm_sw_su_dp
                  Amazon: Volume 1
                  http://amzn.com/1453699554

Comment

Working...
                  X