This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVC survey.

Just cause I'm curious and DVC is always in the back of my mind.. I was wondering:

1. Where is your home resort?
    2. How long have you been a DVC member?
    3. How many points do you have?
    4. How do you and/or your family use DVC? (how many trips do you take a year? what accomodations do you use (studio/1/2 bedroom etc).
    5. What about DVC surprised you? (in a good way or bad).
    6. What is the best thing about being a DVC member?
    7. Which resorts have you stayed at and which is your favorite?
    8. Looking back, would you have picked a different home resort than the one you have now?
    9. How has being a DVC member changed the way you vacation?
    10. Anything else you would like to say about DVC?

thanks everyone!

check out my disney photos and more at www.flickr.com/marcellina
    my california trip report:http://www.beourguestpodcast.com/for...ead.php?t=1772

1. Where is your home resort? AKV-Kidani2. How long have you been a DVC member? Sept. 2008
    3. How many points do you have? 2304. How do you and/or your family use DVC? (how many trips do you take a year? what accomodations do you use (studio/1/2 bedroom etc). We go 2-3x/year, usually stay in a studio...sometimes splurge with a 1br.5. What about DVC surprised you? (in a good way or bad). How affordable it is.
    6. What is the best thing about being a DVC member? Getting to go to the Happiest Place on Earth multiple times a year and meeting other great members! 7. Which resorts have you stayed at and which is your favorite? SSR, BLT, AKV-Jambo, AKV-Kidani! We LOVE Kidani Village, feels truly like home!8. Looking back, would you have picked a different home resort than the one you have now? Absolutely Not!
    9. How has being a DVC member changed the way you vacation? Since we know we are coming back time after time, we are more relaxed and do not feel like we have to do everything on one trip.10. Anything else you would like to say about DVC? Just wished we would have bought in sooner.
    -Adam
    Guest Episodes #207, #231, #283

DVC Members since Oct. 2008

Facebook: www.facebook.com/bama106
    Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/bama106

Comment

1. Where is your home resort?

Saratoga Springs

2. How long have you been a DVC member?

January 2008

3. How many points do you have?

4. How do you and/or your family use DVC? (how many trips do you take a year? what accomodations do you use (studio/1/2 bedroom etc).

So far, we have had a week at Vero and a week at SSR (both studios), and sold points so we could take advantage of free dining at Pop. We've also booked three nights at the Grand Californian Villas as part of our honeymoon.

The plan going forward is a biennial trip for maybe a fortnight - a studio for the time being, looking to move up to a 1BR in a couple of years, if you know what I mean

5. What about DVC surprised you? (in a good way or bad).

Hmm... Not feeling 100% appreciated of late. While I don't think that it should ever become a situation where your trip is sucky if you don't spend a load of money, there's something to be said for the long-term commitment that we DVCers have made, so maybe we should receive the occasional perk.

It's not about the amount being splashed out - I honestly believe that anyone who regularly travels to Disney could afford DVC, even if it means using the finance option like we did - it's all about standing up and saying "I'm going to be spending money on tickets, food and merchandise for the next fifty years of my life", and that's what Disney should be rewarding, especially in the cutthroat entertainment business.

6. What is the best thing about being a DVC member?

A sense of cameraderie; the knowledge that we can enjoy years and years of Disney holidays; desktop countdown tickers!

7. Which resorts have you stayed at and which is your favorite?

SSR and Vero. Honestly couldn't pick one - SSR is obviously onsite, which makes it awesome, and Vero is where the love of my life asked me to marry him

8. Looking back, would you have picked a different home resort than the one you have now?

Nope. We're always planning to go in quieter times (except for next Summer!) so booking 7 months out isn't the end of the world, and SSR gave us the best deal financially - longer term, lower fees.

9. How has being a DVC member changed the way you vacation?

It sounds completely dorky, but I feel I can relax and enjoy holidays non-Disney destinations without going "gaaarggh! What if I don't get to go to Disney again?!" I don't have to battle or cajole to get my fix - it's just a given

Also, I don't wreck the last day or so of a Disney trip feeling bluesy - I know I'm going to be back.

10. Anything else you would like to say about DVC?

Just do it.
      Becca
      Xx

What I'm thinking about

Jan 11 DLRP
      Aug 10 DLR; Sep 09 Pop
      Jan 09 SSR; Jan 08 Pop
      Apr 04 AKL; Jan 00 DLRP
      Dec 98 DLRP; Jul 97 DLRP
      Oct 95 Offsite; Dec 93 DLRP
      Oct 90 Dolphin; Jan 88 Poly

Comment

1. Where is your home resort? Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club and Saratoga

2. How long have you been a DVC member? 4/18/01..get it!!

3. How many points do you have? Not enough but 430

4. How do you and/or your family use DVC? (how many trips do you take a year? what accomodations do you use (studio/1/2 bedroom etc).We go on at least two DVC trips a year. Used to be 3 for sure but we try not to take our son our of school so we go on spring break when school is closed for the week and then we go to WDW for 10 days in July. Sometimes we go to Disney's Hilton Head for a week and will stay in a 2 bedroom because our friends come with us. Then when we go to WDW we would stay in a studio on a Friday or Saturday night and move to a 1 bedroom Sunday-Friday. This trip coming up we are doing a 1 bedroom the entire time 4 niights at Kidani and 5 nights at Boardwalk.

5. What about DVC surprised you? (in a good way or bad). The fact that wtihout being DVC Members we could never stay in the accomodiations that we do. The fact that we have as many years of vacations ahead of us.

6. What is the best thing about being a DVC member? The flexability. Anytime people hear "time share" they always give you that "ohhhh" response because they assume you are locked in to the same year at the same place every year. Then when you explain how it works, you get a differnt kind of "ohh" with a hint of interest. You can use it so many different ways.

But I think the best thing about it is knowing we have so many years of WDW ahead of us that we do not have to "see it all and do it all" because we will be back.

7. Which resorts have you stayed at and which is your favorite? All except Bay Lake Tower and Vero. It is so hard to pick a favorite. We love the Boardwalk area so I am sure we would pick that one, but each time we stay at one we realize how much we love it there as well. There is nothing like Wilderness Lodge Villas in December. Disney's Hilton Head is amazing. I would think that is our 3rd favorite. Saratoga is our least favorite. Not that it is not a beautiful resort but it just seems so far removed from everything.

8. Looking back, would you have picked a different home resort than the one you have now? Had we bought in when we took the DVC tour instead of a couple months after, we would have had Boadwalk. Would have loved that. I do wish we had points at Disney's Hilton Head instead of Saratoga, but we have a longer membership owning there!

9. How has being a DVC member changed the way you vacation?Sorry kind of answered that question above. But yes. We never feel bad about still being in our villa doing laundry or cooking breakfast while others have been up for a couple hours to ensure they are at the park for rope drop. Don't get me wrong, most days we do the same thing. Some days we do not even go to the parks. Maybe for an hour or so (LOVE the Annual Passes...which with DVC you get a fantastic discount on!) In fact we have already picked our days that we will be hanging out at ESPN to watch Phillies games instead of going to parks!!

10. Anything else you would like to say about DVC? I would say that everyone should do it but it is not for everyone. For us it was 100% the right decision. It just makes us so happy.
        Lisa - dvcfamily41801 on Twitter

I'm playing some reindeer games!!

Thanks Michelle, Mickey_Man, Rikki and Nicole!!!

Comment

Dvc

1. Where is your home resort? Saratoga Springs & AKL

2. How long have you been a DVC member? 2 years

3. How many points do you have? 260

4. How do you and/or your family use DVC? (how many trips do you take a year? what accomodations do you use (studio/1/2 bedroom etc). We usually use the one bedroom because of the size and we do one big trip a year.

5. What about DVC surprised you? (in a good way or bad). The flexibility of staying when we want and the different places. The little home comforts in a one bedroom.

6. What is the best thing about being a DVC member? Knowing that once it is paid off and we can vacation down at WDW/DL and not worry about increasing price of the resorts.

7. Which resorts have you stayed at and which is your favorite? I would say the Villas at the Wilderness Lodge is our favorite, but Kidani is a very close second. We have stayed at SRR, Kidani, Boardwalk, and Villas at Wilderness Lodge.

8. Looking back, would you have picked a different home resort than the one you have now? I would have picked AKL over SSR. As our first points, we added AKL on later.

9. How has being a DVC member changed the way you vacation? We plan vacations not just for this year but also the next. We think about where we want to stay.

10. Anything else you would like to say about DVC? It is nice that you have the flexibility to do stay how you would like. I am also looking forward to staying in Hawaii too one day.
          Ray

Our websites:
          www.wdwautism.com - Disney for Families with Autism Spectrum Disorder
          www.mousetraveltips.com Podcast
          Twitter: RayMTT

Comment

I will add a little bit to Adam's answer # 6.

I love the fact that you can take family, or friends that might not get to experience Disney like we do. We were able to take Adam's brother, wife, and two kids to Disney over fall break last October. For their first trip ever, they got to spend it in a two bedroom w/ Savanah view. I can't tell you how wonderful that felt to be able to do that for family! And can't wait to be able to do it again.

Comment

1. Where is your home resort? Kidani Village. Added on at Kidani Village. Will be adding on at an Epcot resort after the wedding. (Beach Club most likely)

2. How long have you been a DVC member? 12/08

3. How many points do you have? 220 (originally 160 and then added on at Kidani like I mentioned)

4. How do you and/or your family use DVC? (how many trips do you take a year? what accomodations do you use (studio/1/2 bedroom etc). We have used it to take my parents in a huge 1 bedroom. We go studios ourselves. Next fall we are taking my parents and brother and sis in law and baby Cammie in a Treehouse!!! It is so flexible

5. What about DVC surprised you? (in a good way or bad). How flexible it is. How, if you are flexible, you can really make your points work. Banking, borrowing, knowing when to go, etc.

6. What is the best thing about being a DVC member? Honestly. Owning Disney. I know that is cheesy. And not worrying about finding codes and rates. Just being able to go. With lodging "paid for" and our APs...we only have to worry about pocket food money. Also...the hotels are nicer than we ever got to stay at. And now, silly enough, I have trouble staying anything but deluxe!

7. Which resorts have you stayed at and which is your favorite? We have stayed at SSR, Kidani, BCV and VWL. We are probably going to be staying BWV this fall. To be honest, as much as Kidani is home, I love them all for different reasons and I want to stay at them all for different reasons and different times. SSR is gorgeous relaxing and has great pools and access to DTD...VWL worked perfect when it was chilly...it was so COZY!!! BCV is probably Ed's favorite and it is my favorite location...and hands down, Kidani has had the BEST rooms..no argument there.

8. Looking back, would you have picked a different home resort than the one you have now? No. Kidani is my identity! Plus it will be great when we have kids...big rooms, water play area, great pool, savanna view, community hall...But I would have split between Kidani and BCV or BWV knowing how hard it would be to get into an Epcot resort at F&W (our favorite time to go) But like I said I would have split the 220 110 at kidani and 110 at BCV.

9. How has being a DVC member changed the way you vacation? We go so much!!!!!!!! With discounts, APs and staying on points it has made it possible and changed our lives!

10. Anything else you would like to say about DVC? Corny alert! DVC has changed my life. We are able to do so much with it. We were dying to go to DL for the first part of our honeymoon and dying to stay 5 nights at Grand Cali. It was 3000 out of pocket cash!!!!! Points time! Booked it less than 5 months out. And there is Hilton Head and Vero for beach stays...

I just cant wait to treat my kids to all of this. I feel very blessed.

Great survey!
              Touring Plans Social Media Guru!

Upcoming trips:
              7/10 Honeymoon at Grand Californian Villas!
              8/10 Crewunion!
              10/10 Hallowishes!
              12/10 Reunion '10

Follow me!:
              www.twitter.com/kidanikatie
              My blog:
              www.thedvclife.com
              Are you a Disney Geek? Check out:
              www.betamouse.net

Comment

1. Where is your home resort? Animal Kingdom Lodge!!!

2. How long have you been a DVC member? Since Aug 2008

3. How many points do you have? 210 points

4. How do you and/or your family use DVC? (how many trips do you take a year? what accomodations do you use (studio/1/2 bedroom etc). We used to be every other year types. Lately (since our DVC purchase) we've been migrating more to at least once a year. We've only made one DVC trip so far (2 more planned in the next 3 months), and on that trip we did a studio. That being said, one of the reasons we did DVC is to get more space. So I see us getting more into the 1 or 2 bedrooms going forward (and as our kids get older).

5. What about DVC surprised you? (in a good way or bad). No major surprises yet. I will agree with Becca that I'd like to see some additional perks for DVC members. But, at the same time, that wasn't a major selling point when we first bought (it'd just be a nice bonus). Also...surprised at how badly I want to add-on!!!

6. What is the best thing about being a DVC member? I like the feeling that I own a part of Disney World. Also, I'm staying at resorts (deluxe) that I probably wouldn't be at...or at least not as often.

7. Which resorts have you stayed at and which is your favorite? So far only Kidani Village (Animal Kingdom Lodge). My wife and I will be staying at Bay Lake in a little over 2 weeks. And in June/July we are going with another family to Beach Club Villas. The other at the top of my wish list is Boardwalk Villas. I see on of these locations being the one we eventually add-on at.

8. Looking back, would you have picked a different home resort than the one you have now? I don't think so. Kidani Village is beautiful. And it is such a unique experience. But if we add on, it will most likely be at another location...just so we can have an 11 month window at 2 different resorts.

9. How has being a DVC member changed the way you vacation? More frequent trips to DVC. And staying on property and in Deluxe resorts.

10. Anything else you would like to say about DVC? We have never once regreted the purchase. And for us, it is a question of WHEN we will add-on (not IF). Once we do that, I see us still taking 1 trip a year. But alternating resorts. Then banking the points of the resort we didn't visit for next year. In other words, each year we will be using 2 years with of points for that resort. That will help us have enough points to stay at the 2-bedrooms for a fair amount of time (1 week +)
                Josh

1995 - 1st WDW trip!! 2000 - WDW Honeymoon!!!! (GF & CBR) 2004 - 1st WDW trip with daughter!!! 2006 - 1st WDW trip with son!!! 2008 - Yet another WDW trip!! June 2009 - 1st DVC Stay!!! April 2010 - 1st Disney Cruise!!! June/July 2010 - BCV w/friends Dec 2010 - WDW Reunion '10

Follow Me On Twitter: www.twitter.com/futureWDWCEO

sigpic

Comment

I wanted to add on a couple points and agree with other posters:

I WISH I BOUGHT IN SOONER!!!

Okay now that is off my chest..

I also love not worrying about doing a ton. Just laying by the pool.. "we'll be back soon"

that is the dvc life for sure.
                  Touring Plans Social Media Guru!

Upcoming trips:
                  7/10 Honeymoon at Grand Californian Villas!
                  8/10 Crewunion!
                  10/10 Hallowishes!
                  12/10 Reunion '10

Follow me!:
                  www.twitter.com/kidanikatie
                  My blog:
                  www.thedvclife.com
                  Are you a Disney Geek? Check out:
                  www.betamouse.net

Comment

Marci, thanks for starting this thread.

I have been considering DVC as well so this is wonderful information. I just love the deluxe Resorts.

Thanks to all of you that have replied.
                    Have a magical day!!! Jackie

Check out our New Book: "Attention to Detail: A Look at Walt Disney World Attractions" Volume 2

Amazon: Voume 2 http://www.amazon.com/dp/1497496896/ref=cm_sw_su_dp
                    Amazon: Volume 1
                    http://amzn.com/1453699554

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post

I have been considering DVC as well so this is wonderful information. I just love the deluxe Resorts.

I agree! Reading these answers makes me want to buy DVC even more. It is still my goal to do so before I'm 40!
                      Michelle

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post

I'm glad you all are enjoying this thread.. that's why I started it! I've been thinking about DVD a whole lot lately... mainly because there is a slim chance that in the next year or so we might be able to buy into DVC.... well, we could afford it but the next step is getting tim to agree to it! I wanted to see what DVC members would say if they could look back to when they first bought in.

I'm really surprised honestly that everyone has around 200 something points! I sort of feel like maybe I should start with a small resale and work my way up or something .. but wow, now I think maybe I should take a big plunge and just buy in through disney.

thanks everyone for answering the survey.. I'd love to see anymore replies if anyone wants to do it!

check out my disney photos and more at www.flickr.com/marcellina
                        my california trip report:http://www.beourguestpodcast.com/for...ead.php?t=1772

Comment

Thank you Marci for starting this thread and thank you everyone who answered. Bill and I are also hoping to become DVC members very soon. It just makes sense because of how much we want to go and how I am so spoiled now that I can't stay in anything below a deluxe! (Not that mods or values are bad..as I said I'm just spoiled!)

Past Trips
                          April/May 2013 - 10 Nights @ BCV
                          Nov/Dec 2011 - 10 Nights @ AKL - Kidani
                          September/October 2010 - 6 Nights @ SSR
                          May 2010 - 9 Nights @ WL
                          April/May 2008 - 7 Nights @ WL
                          September 2007 - 7 Nights @ WL

Episodes 22 & 243 Guest

Comment

1. Boardwalk Villas.

2. Since March 2006.

3. 200

4. The plan was to do two weeks every other year during August in a 1-bedroom until the kids were in college/university and then DW and I would switch to extended weekends or Sun-Thurs. trips. The reality is that we've gone twice for 12 nights in August, a long weekend at the beginning of October for F&W and MNSSHP and another long weekend for 20th anniversary during F&W. The short trips have been in studios.

5. Everybody says it but the longer trips have really let us slow down and enjoy WDW. We spend more days at the resort around the pool. Even on park days we do rope drop and then leave at lunch time.

6. Staying at resorts I would never pay cash for. Before we bought our DVC points we stayed at CBR and WL. That's probably as pricy as we would go. Now I know that we'll eventually stay in a BLT MK view, ....

7. BWV, AKV and VWL. BWV is still our favorite. The nightly entertainment and the easy walk to Epcot really make us feel like we're at the heart of the action.

8. We tried to get BCV initially but Disney ROFR'ed the resale. We had seen neither resort prior to purchasing.

9. For Disney trips we're staying longer and more relaxed. The larger rooms let you unpack and store everything away.

10. Buy where you want to stay. The 11-month booking window is the big perk and is key when you're trying to get a room during a busy time.
                            Chris

CBR November 2003
                            WL December 2005
                            First Trip Home - BWV August 2007
                            MNSSHP - VWL October 2008
                            BWV and AKV Kidani August 2009
                            F&W+20th Anniversary - BWV November 2009

I was BOOed by lamtails

Comment

Just cause I'm curious and DVC is always in the back of my mind.. I was wondering:

Where is your home resort? Our Home Resort is Saratoga Springs
                              How long have you been a DVC member? Since June 2008
                              How many points do you have? 185 Points
                              How do you and/or your family use DVC? (how many trips do you take a year? what accomodations do you use (studio/1/2 bedroom etc). We take two trips per year. Usually one trip with the kids 19 & 23, so we get a two bedroom and one just my wife and I in which we get a studio.
                              What about DVC surprised you? (in a good way or bad). That being a DVC Member precludes you from participating in promotions like free dining.
                              What is the best thing about being a DVC member? Having villas that allow us as a family to stretch out and not be right on top of each other for a week or ten days. After staying in a Villa it is so hard to go back to a standard hotel room.
                              Which resorts have you stayed at and which is your favorite? We have stayed at SSR, BWV so far. We really love our home at SSR however, in May we are booked at Kidani so we are really looking forward to that.
                              Looking back, would you have picked a different home resort than the one you have now? No, at the time we purchased we had the choice between SSR & AKV. Although AKV is beautiful, the rooms were too dark for our liking. We much prefer the bright rooms at SSR!
                              How has being a DVC member changed the way you vacation? We vacation more often and stay longer when we do. Also we became annual passholders as a result of purchasing DVC.
                              Anything else you would like to say about DVC? I just feel so good being part of a "Disney Club" filled with like minded people that get Disney! I can't hear these words enough..."Welcome Home"!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X