This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To resurrect an old thread...

We are also considering DVC for the first time. Is there any advantage (or disadvantage) to buying multiple smaller contracts (at different resorts) vs. one larger contract? Closing costs immediately come to mind - anything else to consider?

Comment

Originally posted by Homer View Post
      To resurrect an old thread...

We are also considering DVC for the first time. Is there any advantage (or disadvantage) to buying multiple smaller contracts (at different resorts) vs. one larger contract? Closing costs immediately come to mind - anything else to consider?
      I bought smaller point contracts, because they seen to be much easier to sell. Because I'm older that option was very important to me.

When I was looking to buy a couple of small point contracts I had to call as soon as they became available or they would have been gone. Almost lost out on one.

It it good to have more then one home resort since they can be booked at 11 months rather 7 months. So it's good to choose resorts you most want to stay at the most as your home resorts.

Also be sure to look at the cost of the yearly fees for the resorts.

Use year can be important. If you get more then one contract get them with the same Use Year. It makes it MUCH EASIER.

I also wanted a use year that would work good for me since I almost always visit WDW between October and February. I don't have to bank any left over points until May 31st. This way I have time to bank points if I have to cancel days or any of my trips.
      Have a magical day!!! Jackie

Check out our New Book: "Attention to Detail: A Look at Walt Disney World Attractions" Volume 2

Amazon: Voume 2 http://www.amazon.com/dp/1497496896/ref=cm_sw_su_dp
      Amazon: Volume 1
      http://amzn.com/1453699554

Comment

Very interesting - Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
          I bought smaller point contracts, because they seen to be much easier to sell. Because I'm older that option was very important to me.

When I was looking to buy a couple of small point contracts I had to call as soon as they became available or they would have been gone. Almost lost out on one.

It it good to have more then one home resort since they can be booked at 11 months rather 7 months. So it's good to choose resorts you most want to stay at the most as your home resorts.

Also be sure to look at the cost of the yearly fees for the resorts.

Use year can be important. If you get more then one contract get them with the same Use Year. It makes it MUCH EASIER.

I also wanted a use year that would work good for me since I almost always visit WDW between October and February. I don't have to bank any left over points until May 31st. This way I have time to bank points if I have to cancel days or any of my trips.
          I agree with Jackie's comments especially about the use years. If you buy a few small contracts do it with the same use year. We have 3 contracts all with the same use year.

The small contracts are easier to sell than large contracts. Remember that you can't break up your contract when you try to sell it. If you buy a 400 point contract and you want to sell it you need to sell all 400 points. You can't sell 2 separate 200 point contracts or keep 200 points and sell 200 points.

One additional comment is that you can only book at 11 months with the home resort points you have. If you have 100 at SSR and 100 at AKV and you want to stay at AKV, you can only use the AKV points at 11 months. So you might only be able to book a few nights at 11 months and then have to book the rest of your nights at 7 months (you can do some juggling with borrowing and banking). At least this has been our experience with the home resort point usage.

Comment

Working...
          X